The main targets of the project will be achieved by the following actions:
Optimisation of land use
- For protection of nests we have to coordinate the dates of mowing or beginning of grazing with the farmers.
- In order to achieve optimal habitats for breeding and nursing we will develop vegetation by maintenance cutting.
Optimisation of hydrological management
- On the coastal sites we want to recreate natural flood dynamics for optimal in- and reflow. Therefor we restored some of the natural tideways in Freesendorfer Wiesen.
- On the polder sites we will build artificial bars for retention of water. Under extreme weather conditions regulation may be necessary. At these sites only short-term inundation is needed. In 2019 and 2020 we installed temporarly a water pump for partial irrigation in polder Mönkebude. Soon there will be a solar pump to change to climate-neutral utilization.
Protection of clutches & predator management
- For the protection of brood sites we will install permanent fences and electric fences against the high pressure of predators.
- With electric enclosures we prevent mammal predatores from robbing eggs.
- We support hunters with equipment for trapping foxes and other predators, like raccoon, raccoon dog and martens.